Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Another tough goodbye

I'm sitting in Miami having arrived safely from Haiti. The last day was a fun, tough day. To continue from yesterday, I went to hang out with the kids during their break from school this morning. The kids run to you, grab your hands and your legs and just want to hold you. It kind of makes you feel like a celebrity. The community kids look on with curiosity. They stare and move closer. I smile and ask, "Como rele?" (What is your name?). They move closer and answer and I tell them my name is Chris with a smile. They come even closer to me and reach out to feel my hair. It's interesting to think that this is probably the first time that they have interacted with a white person. I just want them to know that Jesus loves them- Jezi remen ou!

The highlight of my day was the unexpected chance to see Pastor Moise before I left. Moise was in Nashville visiting a church and sharing his vision for the Global Orphan Project. I had hoped to spend time with the Haitian staff team during my visit including time with Moise but I found out he would be in the States while I was in Haiti. He probably got on the plane I had got off in Haiti. He was returning today but I didn't expect to see him. So when he pulled into the OTV an hour before we departed for the airport, I was thrilled to give my Haitian brother a great big hug. He asked how my family, everybody from our team and the church was doing and that he has been praying for us ever since our last visit. I shared with him that it was a joy for me personally to give the message at his church and see his family once again. A very poignant time on Sunday morning was having 6 year old Moise Jr. who goes by the name Junior tell me that he wanted me to tell Ryan to come back to Haiti. Ryan from our team bonded with Junior in a way that seemed as if Ryan became Junior's big brother.

Saying goodbye to the kids again was tough. My buddy Pierre and I spent a lot of time together on this trip. And when he asked me if I was going to leave, he said, "No please don't go" and then began weeping. What do you do with that? It's tough. Yes, I go home to the family I love and back to my life I have in Fort Collins. Pierre stays at the OTV. No mother, no father. Don't get me wrong- he is well cared for and thank God for that- but he doesn't have his parents. And that breaks my heart deeply. As I wrestle with trying to understand it all, I will continue chasing after God's heart for the helpless.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your tender heart Chris. I've been thinking about you down there and wondering how this second cleaving will go... glad you got to see Moise, too. See ya soon brother.

    ReplyDelete