Monday, October 22, 2012

Challenges with Haiti

One of the things that I have learned about trips to Haiti or really anywhere on a missions trip is that you have to be flexible. Flexible with time, travel, expectations and agendas. Nothing ever goes perfectly as planned. And you know, I love that. It is actually freeing because I am depending on The Lord. That's right where He wants me to be. So I have learned contentment with the challenges.

Today has already presented one such challenge- getting stuck in a bus on the road leading out of Desire. It is rainy season so that in itself has presented many challenges. The road is a narrow road and there are sections very muddy with deep tire tracks. We found ourselves stuck for about 20 minutes. Finally after help from community neighbors we were able to get freed from the mud. But the challenge doesn't end there- questions about being able to return this afternoon and tomorrow begin to surface. What if we get even more rain tonight? We can't have seen the children for the last time today- could we? We didn't get to say goodbye! But- God is in control, I'm not. I need to relinquish whatever control I thought I had and just rest in the Lord's sovereignty.

Today I also had a sad moment, I would even say an insensitive moment. Seeing a small child at school drifting off to sleep made for a cute picture because of the way he was all contorted. Volcy our translator, leaned over to me and asked if I had a snack on the bus. I thought he was hungry because he didn't have breakfast. Volcy asked me to take the sleeping child from the community and give him my snack because clearly he was hungry. I didn't notice his extended belly when I was photographing him but it was suddenly obvious to me that this child needs something to eat now. I gave him my granola bar and a bottle of water. He scarfed to granola bar and drank almost all the water very quickly. My heart sank. I have prayed that The Lord would not let me lose my sensitivity for what we need to do as we minister in Haiti- and today I was jolted back to the need- physically and spiritually for the people of Haiti.

And now I am having issues with the wifi- so this post is going out from the phone on the data roaming.

God is in control- and I am thankful. Thank you for praying for this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment