Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Simple Touch Brings Peace

Today I was reminded of a very powerful thing. This is my 10th trip to Haiti in just over two years and it's easy to get caught up in the busyness of a trip- from making sure the team is prepared for their activities and how they are doing on a physical level and spiritual level and trying to learn some simple creole phrases- you can accidentally miss one of the most important things- the power of a touch. Sometimes all a child desires is a hand to hold or a lap to sit upon. And today I had a very young boy seek me out, grab my hand, wait for me to sit down so he could crawl into my lap and fall asleep. I think for a moment all he needed was a place to rest his head to find respite from the difficult life he lives.

I then think of the image of our heavenly Father beckoning us to come to Him, crawl into His lap and put our trust and all our cares on Him. So while I became a big human pillow for a small child, I rediscovered the peace our God provides us when we rest in Him.

Today was the last full day with the children of Desire as we played, held them and shared to gospel story with the orphans and community children. Tomorrow we worship with them and hear a message from Pastor Jeannot and Pastor Steve. We then begin our journey back to Port au Prince and head home on Monday. Pray for our team because as always, good-byes are very hard after spending a week deepening our relationships with the children and Pastor Jeannot.

No comments:

Post a Comment